2.22.2013

The Everything Bag by Amy Butler (this is kind of a review)

So my cousin in pregnant with her first child (a boy!) and a few months ago, I told her that if she needed something handmade, it would be my pleasure to make something for her. 

A few days later, she told me she needed a diaper bag so I went hunting for the perfect one.
She settled on the Everything Bag by Amy Butler (pattern is in her Little Stitches For Little Ones book).


I read a few reviews before I started and I was a bit afraid because you know, it's an Amy Butler pattern !
But all in all, it went really well.

I'd say it took me between 3h30 and 4h to make. It's not that bad :)

The only part I had to read a few times was when you need to make the divider. But aside from that, it's pretty easy to follow if you take the time to read the instruction well before doing anything.


I made a few changes :
- I didn't use Peltex. For the divider, I used two layers of cotton duck instead and for the bottom panel, I used one layer of cotton duck and fusible fleece. It's probably not as stiff as it should be but the bag stand on it's own (and it was probably easier to sew!). 

- I made the straps longer and wider (6"Wx27"L instead of 4"Wx18"L). I like it. 

- I made a zippered pocket on one side because that's what she wanted. 
If I ever make another one with a pocket, I would make the pocket wider and higher. 
But we learn from our "mistakes" don't we ?


I would probably add one front pocket too. 
Not that you need more space in the bag but I think it would look great.


Obviously, I'm not a mom, so I don't know how much you need to carry when you have a baby but I'm pretty sure everything will fit in there. It's HUGE.
I hope she will like it !

And yes, he LOVES bags.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

This is super cute! Where do you get your cotton duck? I've never tried that before but I really am trying to avoid Peltex :-p

whitney said...

Awesome bag! (I love that last pic of your kitty.) so cute- I'm sure your cousin will love it!

Jera MacKenzie said...

Great bag! I love the fabric what is it? I think it might be prefect for a bag the I am making for my husband.
Thanks,

Jera

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That was a great idea using the duck cloth in the center. I made this pattern and cursed my way through it. that peltex in the center was a nightmare. And it left me with some sloppy looking stitched around the outside too. Yours looks fantastic! She's going to love it.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

You did a great job with this bag! Thanks for noting your changes. Looks very successful to me!