2.07.2013

MOC

So here it is, I want to start a little company.
With a brand name and a logo and business cards and all.

I'm currently in contact with a friend of my sister who is an illustrator. 
She makes the cutest drawing ever. We're currently discussing to find 
an arrangement that will make us both happy.

I'm quite excited I must tell you.
I get how people feel when they ask for a custom quilt now :)

It is scary though. 
What if people don't buy my products because they thing it's too expensive ?
And what if I have too many orders and people just go somewhere else
because it takes too long for me to make their order ? 

And I need to figure out what I want to sell.
Baby stuff ? Only quilts ? Pillows ? Whatever people want ?
Am I going to be able to say no to orders if it's something I'm not interested in making ?
And what am I going to say to people who ask for "discount" because they know me ?

I talked about it with my boyfriend the other day and he is incredibly supportive.
He has a degree in business and management so he definitely sees the business side of it while I think about all the fabric I will be allowed to buy "because it's for orders". 

My dream ?
Being able to work at the restaurant only in the morning (and be home by 2pm !). 
I'm not there yet but yes, that would be my dream.

I made a board for my sister's friend so she can get to know me and what I like.
Here's just a sample of what's in there. 


As for the title ? That's going to be my "name".
MOC for Marika Ouellet Creations.
Short, easy to remember, works in english and in french. 

Any advice you want to share with me ?

12 comments:

Jess said...

Tricky, tricky stuff. I wish you all the best and I do hope you'll keep us informed on how it's going. I don't have a business but having people you know ask you to sew for them is a tough one - do you want to do the project, how much to charge, etc. With a business though, I'd probably stay firm and explain that while you appreciate their business, you can't really offer a discount. You'd be putting off other full paying customers to work on their project which isn't fair to you, especially as a new small business. I'd hope that most people you know would understand that and want you to succeed and therefore not ask for one, but I do know how some people just don't realize the value or the time it takes to create something.

Good luck though! Hope it goes well!

Wens said...

Goodluck! I've had my own business before and it's a wonderful thing. I'd just advise to first decide what you're going to make. Then figure out your pricing (including paying yourself properly) and don't change your prices because you feel bad. Hand-made anything is extremely special, and worth a lot. Be proud of that and others will be happy to support you. (If they're not they can buy elsewhere!) I found communication was key with custom orders, so you can quote a price and a rough timeline in the beginning and then keep your client updated regularly. All the best :)

Lori said...

How exciting! I have been contemplating the same thing lately! I have had more and more people asking me to make things and I figure it's time I got paid for it. Good luck with your adventure, I can't wait to hear how it goes! Maybe if it goes well I might go ahead with it myself.

Charlotte said...

oooh, how exciting! I have no advice, but I look forward to hearing all about it :-D

Marit said...

Good luck with your venture! Sounds fun and exciting. One thing I know is that for large items that take many hours it is probably hard to make a good hourly wage... So unless you're a super speedy sewer/quilter, smaller items or baby quilts will probably make you more money. I think I'd look at Amazon for books on selling crafts/crafty business. And good luck again!

elnorac said...

Good luck! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't think I'll take orders at all. That way, I'm in control of which fabrics I use (like ones I already have), and I won't get into the situation of someone ordering and then my item not being exactly what was in their mind's eye. Instead, people will only purchase what they see already finished. That way they'll know if they like it. The whole thing is kind of daunting, eh? Yet exciting!

jeifner said...

There's an awesome blog called While She Naps in which she consistently gives amazing advice for sewing, crafting and creative businesses. I'm a bit amazed she shares so much. She's famous for her softy designs but has inspiring, encouraging, and savvy business info to share every week. I feel a bit odd sharing about someone's blog but I can't help it because its so great!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

My advice is to only make what you will enjoy! When you enjoy what you are making you do your best, most creative work. That's the kind of work that develops your brand, delights customers and keeps you energized to go on.

stitchingsbyellen.com said...

I wish you the very best. I work full-time, happily married and have 2 little girls. I also have a small sewing business on the side. The majority of my sewing business is done late at night so that it doesn't take too much time from my family. For almost 6 years, I was a demonstrator for Stampin' Up! Although I loved the creative outlet, it interfered with family time. You can't exactly have quality family time if you've got a houseful of ladies making cards or you are having SU workshops at the homes of others. The money was so-so. With my little sewing business,I truly pick the hours to work that work for me and my family. Instead of making a small commission, I make a larger profit and I'm proud of what I create. I am truly my own boss. I say all this to say....do what works for you. Charge the prices you feel are deserved and warranted. Make sure your goods are high quality and you'll have repeating customers. Wish you the best!!!

Zeeshan Hanzillah said...

Stunning, your designs for plastic business cards inspires me a lot...

Chris said...

Hi Marika, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

A Ali said...

Stunning your designs thanks for sharing...
http://plasticcardmonster.com/