5.18.2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

If you're not new here, you've already seen this quilt but if you're here because of the Blogger's Quilt Festival, the quilt I'm about to  show you is very special. Let me tell you it's story.

My mom started it 10 years ago (we counted) and it has been sitting in a plastic bin for probably that long. The middle was all pieced (thank god because I hate piecing little squares!) and almost all the other fabric was cut, ready to be pieced.


This year was my mom 50th birthday (in April) and in January, we decided I would make her a quilt for her birthday so we picked fabric (took us 3 hours!) and we started designing something for her (based on a Kaffe Fassett's Quilt). We received the fabric and I started making it but I was kind of sad because I wanted it to be a suprise and she was there every step of the way, deciding with me that we would not be using this fabric, that we would change this block for this one... you get it ? There was no suprise, really and that made me sad...



Then she learned she had breast cancer (she's fine now, she had the surgery to remove the cancer and she's starting radiotherapy in a couple days, don't worry) and she decided to go to Costa Rica with her boyfriend for two weeks right after the surgery.. That's when I decided that I would finish this quilt and give it to her as a suprise for her birthday ! She left on friday night, I worked all weekend and on sunday night, I did all of the cutting that needed to be done and I pieced it in a couple of ours on Monday morning because I was meeting my long arm machine quilter in the afternoon (in Montreal, which is a 2 hours drive). I never thought it would be finished on time, but it was (and I was soooo happy it was!).


He (yes, my quilter is a he!), did an amazing job with this quilt. I told him to do what he wanted and I'm glad I did because I was really impressed ! He quilted flowers and hummingbirds and it's almost like embroidery. Each flower took him 32 minutes to make !


I gave it to my mom a week after his birthday because it wasn't ready when I thought it would be but it's ok. I was so nervous when I gave it to her but she really love it and she couldn't believe that is was all done !

There is a little label that says "Through the eyes of our mother, we discover the dimensions of love".
And then it says that the quilt was started by my mom and finished by me for her 50th birthday in April 2012.

I hope you enjoyed reading it's story. It's a very special quilt to me, even though it's not mine.

Don't forget to stop by Amy's blog to see all the other quilts !


26 comments:

Charming's Mama said...

Aw, what a nice surprise.

Barbara said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I love the colors you've used.

Charlotte said...

great story, and a beautiful quilt. Wishing your mum all the best for her recovery

Cherie said...

What a lovely surprise! Gorgeous quilt! =D

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful! And a great story. My mum is also a survivor...

I have to say I'm very intrigued by your Montreal Longarmer... His quilting is incredible.

Margaret said...

It's a powerful color.

Margaret
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

CraftyGardenMom - Tanesha said...

What a lovely quilt and surprise for your Mom! Thanks for sharing.

Jenelle said...

This is such a beautiful, color saturated quilt! The quilting looks almost like lace to me.

Lisa said...

What a lovely story and a beautiful quilt! Wishing your mom all the best!

Barbara said...

Wow! Gorgeous colors.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Such a beautiful quilt, I love all those rich warm colours together, the big flowers in the border are beautiful. I quilting is wonderful. I enjoyed reading your story behine this quilt.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

A beautiful quilt and a beautiful story. Glad mom is doing well and hooray for such a good long-armer.

straythreads said...

what a wonderful daughter you are
beautiful quilt
Ann

Janet said...

It is beautiful! I love the colours and the fabric. Now what will you do with the other quilt?

Nana said...

Beautiful story....beautiful quilt!

Marg said...

What a wonderful surprise for your mom. I love the beautiful colours. Gorgeous quilt!

Angie said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt and touching story! I always love hearing the stories behind the quilts!

Chez Roo said...

Beautiful quilt and a beautiful story! I wish your mom continued good health :)

sherry said...

what a beautiful quilt

Eileen said...

such a beautiful quilt with an equally beautiful story. that quilting is exquisite!! i love your quilt. a real treasure. thanks for sharing and have a great day

kathy said...

Stunning! The colors and patterns are beautiful together, and the quilting is fabulous! I can only imagine how thrilled your mom was to receive it.

Robin said...

Gorgeous! And such a wonderful story it has. What an amazing gift! :)

Diane Bohn said...

This quilt is so beautiful!! :) I absolutely love it! Great story too! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Your quilt is knock-your-socks-off gorgeous! Your mom will treasure it always.

thequiltingdoberman said...

Goodness! The quilt itself is amazing but the longarm work...he should be very proud. You both should be.

t. anne said...

Lovely quilt, and a wonderful surprise for your mom!