5.23.2012

Adventures in paper piecing

First of all, I just want to welcome my new followers ! I hope you'll stay for a while and I really hope you won't be disappointed :)

For those of you who are not new here, you know I'm in the Modern She Made Swap and I finished my pillow last week or so but I wanted to include another small item. I decided to make a little pouch so I could fill it with scraps, thread spool and buttons. I wanted it to be simple (so it wouldn't outshine the pillow.. even though it's not really possible :) ) so I went with a circle of geese. I scaled it down a bit so it ended up being half the size of a normal circle of geese (6" instead of 12").
(Here's the pillow again.. I love it so much that I want pictures everywhere!)



Let me just tell you one thing if you've never tried paper piecing and want to  : if one of your piece end up being too small and you notice it right away, unpick it and change it. Don't wait until the end thinking it'll be fine because it won't be. And changing the piece without the paper (like I tried to do) doesn't work... It really doesn't.
And cut your pieces very big. Wasting a little bit of fabric is not that bad compared to what I said above !

Anyway, here's the thing :


Notice how I lost a point in the seam ? And how it's so not perfect right there in the middle on the right ? It's killing me but I just don't want to have anything to do with this pouch anymore. Hopefully, what's inside will compensate for all it's imperfections !
Here's what's inside :


At least, I can now say that I am able to make a pouch without looking every minute at a tutorial ! That's good news :)

It was hard to close the envelope.. I can't go back now !
I might have to make another one (in my colors) because I really love it.

I'm off to working on some blocks I need to send this week !
Have a good day everyone :)


7 comments:

Diane Bohn said...

I love it!!! I think you did an awesome job! Your partner is SUPER lucky! :) your experiences with paper piecing made me chuckle because I can't tell you how many times I've done those things. :)

Laura Ayres said...

Wow pretty cushion! It looks amazing :D x

Kelly said...

Gorgeous pillow and pouch! I would have never noticed the point being cut off :)

Jess said...

I just tried paper piecing for the first time. I totally loved it, but it did take some time for me to figure out what to cut and what to keep and I ended up doing it a few times. But it totally is worth it because I could never have made those shapes otherwise.

And my goodness, such a lucky partner, that pillow is gorgeous!

thatmoxiegirl said...

Yeah, dude. That looks amazing. I'd be super psyched.

The Michelle Show said...

OMG that pillow is INCREDIBLE and you must be so proud. And even the pouch.. hello?? Talented.

Cherie said...

Wow what a great pillow! I love the pattern! I know what you mean about paper piecing!
I love your pouch...you know you want to really make two more! (one for me and one for you) =D

I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html